What do we do?
Dent Reality is building the ‘connective layer’ between Augmented Reality devices and the physical world.
We’ve heard from hundreds of organisations - retail stores, shopping centres, airports, train stations, hospitals, museums, hotels, universities, offices… pretty much every type of physical space you can imagine. They all want to use AR to connect with their visitors in new and powerful ways but, to date, the technical barriers have been too hard to overcome.
That’s where our unique positioning, mapping and AR technology comes in. For the first time ever, we can enable organisations to provide the ‘smart’ experience they’re so desperate to offer to their shoppers/guests/visitors.
We’re starting with grocery retail where we have a partnership with Marks and Spencer. Our technology powers personal, guided experiences for M&S shoppers, helping them find and discover products they love every time they shop. Think shopping list meets in-store navigation.
Before you go any further, take a look at this 1 min video to get a better sense of our what we’re building (sound on to hear shopper reactions).
Who are we?
We’re a small, but rapidly growing, early stage start up supported by some of the most prominent investors in technology and retail (including the ex-CTOs of Macy’s, Sainsbury’s and Tumblr; the founder of Indeed.com; and the first VC fund to invest in Oculus VR).
As a team, we’ve already built the most popular open-source project for mobile AR (4k+ stars on GitHub), enabling any developer to build world-scale AR apps. And we have decades of positioning, mapping and product development experience across organisations like Dyson, Esri, Ordnance Survey and Shopmatic (similar to Shopify, popular in S.E. Asia).
We empower each team member with full responsibility and ownership over their work. As much as is possible, we’re happy for team members to have flexible schedules – we care about building great technology and products, not rigid rules and presentee-ism!
What will you be doing?
On a day to day basis you’ll be working closely with our CEO, Web Development Lead and Product Manager on the following priorities:
- Taking ownership of our backend, communicating effectively with other team members about the state of the platform
- Writing new API endpoints and maintaining current ones to power the customer portal (our ‘map builder’ that enables retailers to turn their stores into geospatial maps)
- Work on maintaining and enhancing the map data export API which powers our mobile app
- Manage the data ingestion pipeline for current and future customers
- Ensure a well maintained, structured and tested code base is kept
- Work with the Web Lead to oversee and manage Dent Reality’s cloud infrastructure (servers, databases etc)
What you might achieve in your first 3-6 months:
- Move us to a Heroku teams account
- Set up separate production and development environments
- Set up an account for M&S on our customer portal and transfer over the current M&S assets/data
- Set up an email-based onboarding experience Implement a user role-based permissions system
- Add new features to our map data exporting service
- Help onboard a new mid level developer
What skills/experience are we looking for?
For this role we are looking for someone with 4+ years of commercial experience. Below we list the skills and experience we’re looking for but a quick word of warning. If you don’t check every box, that’s OK! Please don’t talk yourself out of applying.
Overall, we’re looking for someone who is excited about our technology, our mission and can grow in their role as the company grows.
Core Technical Skills
- Understanding of how to scale backend systems
Nice-to-Have Technical Skills
- Can help empathetically mentor more junior members of the team
Working with us
Other than the opportunity to join one of London’s most exciting and friendly start ups we’re offering:
- £55k-65k salary (depending on experience)
- Share options
- 25 days holiday per year
- Pension scheme
- We’re currently working remotely but we’re ideally looking for a candidate who is either based in London or can be in London on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for team meetings.
Dent Reality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.